The SXSW Gaming Opening Party and Cosplay Contest featuring special performances by gaming metal cover band Powerglove and videogame jockey experience Tough Coded: Live, will take place on Thursday, March 16 at the Hilton in downtown Austin from 8pm – 11pm.
After several years of exploding growth, the Cosplay Contest has grown into a must-see feature at SXSW. Now, with the new SXSW Gaming Festival, the Cosplay Contest is officially available to three-day and Thursday wristbands, as well as SXSW badgeholders.
Are you a DIY designer or superfan of a show, game or otherwise? Then gear up for this year’s Opening Party and Cosplay Contest! OPEN TO ALL AGES
About Host KittyPlays
Photo courtesy of KittyPlays
Kristen, a.k.a KittyPlays, is a broadcaster & content creator focused on positive engagement & a supportive community. Kristen’s other endeavors include leading Team Kitty, a broadcaster team of over 75 women, to support & grow their channels and sustain quality content creation across the Gaming and Creative communities.
About Guest Judges Lyndie Greenwood and Alex Corea
Photos courtesy of Lyndie Greenwood and Alex Corea
Lyndie Greenwood currently stars as Jenny Mills on FOX’s hit show, Sleepy Hollow, and is best known for her role as Sonya on CW’s popular television series Nikita. Her additional television credits also include roles such as Keisha on Rookie Blue, Kelly on Flashpoint, Lana on Lost Girl, and roles in Covert Affairs. Born and raised in Toronto, Ontario, Lyndie has enjoyed studying martial arts, and exploring dance and vocal training at various institutions including Professional Actors Lab, Jason Fraser Studios, Etobicoke School of the Arts and University Settlement Drama Group.
Alex Corea is co-founder of Attack Media as well as the host and showrunner of its daily live variety-series The Attack on Twitch. With over 300 episodes written, produced, and hosted with the Los Angeles based studio since 2015, Alex has led the series to become one of the most popular gaming talk shows on the platform. Since the show’s conception, Alex has created over 1000 hours of specialized branded content for companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Sony, Oculus, and more, all the while pushing the boundaries of broadcast by accomplishing the first ever live stream from space, broken world streaming records, and even made his mom’s Top Ten Streamer’s list three years in a row.
Photo courtesy of Powerglove
Hailing from the outer reaches of flavor country, the Powerglove woodwind quartet is the perfect choice for any bat mitzvah or funeral procession. Top scientists from Powerglove University in Prague have ascertained specific evidence from the children of Sanchez the Wise that Powerglove’s music is the answer to domestic abuse, and gout. However, clinical trials, have yet to prove that Powerglove is in any way effective against dysentery. These four young men, full of bold and fresh flavor, as well as all requisite herbs and spices will dance for you until the siren call of the Great Mancuso beacons us home to the undying realms with the audacity of succulent ham.
About Tough Coded: Live
Photo courtesy of Little Nando
Tough Coded: Live is a multiplayer game where players pit off against a game master (the DJ) in a virtual death match where the music directly impacts everything happening in the game. With each match lasting the duration of the song, who will rise up to the challenge and take out Little Nando to claim SXSW fame and glory?
Cosplay Competition Rules:
- Sign-up online, or at the onsite sign-up location which will be in Exhibit Hall 1 + 2 at the Austin Convention Center, Thursday March 16th from 12p-6p.
- All contestants are allowed 30 seconds on stage for walk-on.
- Keep it PG-13! No nudity, foul language, inappropriate themes, etc. If you have doubts or questions, contact SXSW directly.
- Anyone in costume may enter the competition, but the contestant must be pre-judged to be eligible for an award.
- At least 75% of the costume must be constructed, or heavily modified, by the contestant to be eligible for an award, except for the Judges’ Award (all contestants eligible for Judges’ Award.)
- Models may be used, but awards only given to the creator of the costume. Creator must be present during the pre-judging.
- If it goes on stage with you, it must come off stage with you.
- Any jumping, tumbling, or stunts need to be cleared with SXSW staff prior to performance.
- Group entries are limited to 10 people unless otherwise cleared with SXSW staff first.
- No live steel. Nothing loaded, period. Replicas are fine, so long as they follow Federal regulations, ie: orange tips. All weapon replicas will need to be checked and approved by security prior to entering the competition.
- All qualified contestants will receive a complimentary Thursday Gaming wristband with which to compete and attend the event.
Opening Party and Cosplay Contest featuring Powerglove and Tough Coded: Live
March 16 | 8:00pm – 11:00pm
6th floor, Hilton Downtown Austin
Access: All Badges (Platinum, Interactive, Film, Music) and Gaming Wristband
Add to your Schedule