Cosplay Guidelines & Weapons Policy
Please keep in mind the following guidelines for cosplay when attending SXSW Gaming:
- Keep costumes no more than PG-13
- Refrain from lewd or overly revealing costumes
- Do not bring equipment into festival venues that:
- might be damaging to people or property; or
- might hinder other people’s enjoyment of the festival
- Ask people permission before you take pictures of them
- If a complaint is received about your costume, SXSW will investigate the situation and you may be asked to change your costume or leave the festival premises.
- Questions or concerns can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Cosplay Help Desk.
SXSW has a strict weapons-free policy, no real weapons of any kind are allowed at the festival under any circumstances. All props including, without limitation, prop weapons, must be reviewed and tagged at the Cosplay Weapons Check Desk prior to bringing them into the festival. The Cosplay Weapons Check Desk is located outside Exhibit Hall 1 in the Austin Convention Center.
Please view the rest of our cosplay weapons policy and our code of conduct here.
Pack For Every Occasion – Be Weather Ready
SXSW Gaming is more than just an event. You’ll be attending sessions, attending tournaments, networking at Meet Ups, and hopping from one booth to the next. If you’ve ever been to Austin, you know that the weather can be unpredictable – be sure to check weather listings before you leave. That being said, Austin is a really casual city. If you want to attend panels in your pajamas, we won’t judge.
Plan For Walking… A Lot
For those of you in fitness challenges counting your steps – get ready to score big this March! You’re going to be doing a lot walking, be comfort-conscious when selecting shoes to pack. If you can manage it, you may want to have a change of shoes available. Your feet will thank you.
We strongly recommend that you pack sunscreen and a reusable water bottle. The Texas heat can be dehydrating and the air in the convention center can be quite dry, but you’ll find water stations throughout the building to refill your bottle and stay hydrated.
Back to Top